Friday, May 4, 2012

Paper Flowers!

I was trying to think of a craft that the kids at church could make for their mom's for Mother's Day when I found this cute idea for paper flowers. Since we are also decorating for a church fellowship the week before, I decided to have them make centerpieces out of them to decorate the tables and then they would also have a nice gift for their moms! Here is the finished product!


Here is how I made them:


First, cut 12x12" paper into 2 strips. I cut 2" strips for the larger flowers, 1 1/2" strips for the medium-sized, and 1" for the smaller size.


Next, fold each strip like a fan.


Glue the two pieces together.


Carefully twirl the strip into a circle (this is the tricky part!) and then glue the ends together.


Glue this circle to a smaller circle using a hot glue gun to hold it together.


I also added a little glue on top. Hold together for several seconds to secure.


At this point, your flower should look like this.


Using coordinating paper, decorate the top any way you'd like. I used buttons for the centers. Use scalloped scissors to cut smaller circles for the centers if you like. When you are finished, add a narrow wooden dowel with hot clue for the stem and place them in your decorative container. I found small glass milk jugs at the craft store and filled them with "straw." Finish by tying ribbon around the container and/or stems!


Using an old coffee pot I had, I made a larger centerpiece with even larger flowers. I used 3 strips of paper cut into 4" strips for the large flowers and 3 strips of 3" strips for the medium-sized ones here. The smaller ones were made using 2 strips of 2" paper.



No comments:

Post a Comment